I think it’s safe to officially say we’re moving into monthly instead of weekly posts. Charlotte is still changing like crazy each week – in fact, I think it’s safe to say she’s changing so much that we are too busy chasing after her to write any blog posts! Our nine month old (!!) is growing like crazy – she weighs 20 lbs 1 oz (she jumped from the 31st percentile at her 6 month appointment to the 80th at her 9 month appointment!) and is 28 3/4″ tall (90th percentile). Proportional and sturdy are 2 word the doctor used to describe her. Quite the contrast from the long skinny baby in past months. And to think she was just in the 2nd percentile for weight at her 2 week appointment…
I think Charlotte could be described as a determined explorer these days. I hope that determination and curiosity/love of exploring are two things that will stick with her as she grows.
Charlotte’s latest adventures include…
- Climbing a couple of stairs (with Mom very close behind her).
- An obsession with her Peek a Who book
- First ride in the shopping cart at Target. She held on for dear life the whole time.
- Giggling like crazy!
- Standing up and taking little strolls around the perimeter of her crib when she should be napping.
- Making her rounds cruising around all of our living room furniture.
- Helping Mom and Dad figure out very quickly what a bad job they did babyproofing!
- Got her first pumpkin (a tiny one) which she loves to gnaw on.
- Turned on the TV (possibly by accident?) – got to keep those remotes out of her reach!
- Watched her first episode of Barney due to the time change. We were desperate!
- Is currently fighting her first cold.
- Had a fun visit with her Auntie Steph, Uncle Mike and cousins Maddie and Josie.
- Took her first trip to Disneyland! I think it’s safe to say we all had a great time. Charlotte didn’t even flinch on the little drops (that get my stomach every time!) on Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Dressed up like a penguin for Halloween.
Bundling up for fall.
Charlotte’s 1st Pumpkin
She loves to eat it.
And gnaw on it…
Our little penguin!
So proud of herself!
Constantly pulling herself up on the furniture.
We can’t believe we have a 9 month old!
Clearly I have some catching up to do! Baby girl is 36 weeks old today! She was born at 36 weeks and 6 days – hard to believe in another week she’ll have been in this world longer than I was pregnant. October has proven to be a very busy month around here which is why blogging has been a low priority on my to-do list.
In the time since I’ve written, Charlotte has changed so much. She’s growing in size (we keep saying we need to start lifting weights – whew!), is gaining so many new skills, is very generous with her toothy grin, and brings much joy and laughter into our lives (all while keeping us on our toes – she is always moving unless she’s sleeping – and even then she moves a lot!).
At 36 weeks, Charlotte…
- Loves pulling herself up on furniture and loves to be in a standing position. In fact, she often refuses to bend her legs when you want her to sit down! She’s so proud of herself when she’s standing up.
- Is getting more and more clever. She loves to escape her play area and I’m amazed at the small spaces she can squeeze her body through.
- Is learning a few baby signs. We don’t know how much she’s understanding, but she sure does get a huge smile on her face every time we do the sign for milk.
- Is mesmerized by the reflection of the swimming that shines through on our ceiling on the sunniest of days. Very few things take this little girl away from her food, but that rippling reflection on the ceiling does it every time.
- Has tried lots of new foods lately, including quinoa. I think the quinoa will have to grow on her but we’re grateful that she’s no longer on a veggie strike and is eating a good mix of fruits and veggies. Oh and puffs and mum-mum crackers. She loves feeding herself and I think it’s about time we start giving her more opportunities (and more nutritious foods) to feed herself.
- Enjoys her daily walks to the park. She still loves going outside and riding in her stroller and Mom is happy to get some extra steps in (the latest motivation is the FitBit she received for her birthday!).
- Cries and smiles all in the same breath (or wail…) on a daily basis around here. Fortunately the crying usually doesn’t last for long (but these new teeth coming in are rough!).
- Took a trip to Catalina Island to celebrate Mom and Dad’s birthdays.
- Had a fun visit with Grandma and Grandpa from Indiana!
And before we jump in with the pictures, let me just share with you my latest #MomFail.
I spend my Monday’s down in Long Beach for work. It’s the longest period of time that I’m away from Charlotte each week. I arrived home a couple of weeks ago to find that Charlotte was snoozing in her crib. She’s always excited to see me and I figured that today would be no different. I heard her begin to stir and I walked over to her door, peeked my head in and said “Peekaboo!”. Well poor little Charlotte had her head turned the other way and my enthusiastic “Peekaboo” absolutely terrified her! She turned her head, mouth dropped wide open and she let out a startled “Ahhhh!” It’s a wonder she didn’t cry and still was happy for me to pick her up. The look on her face…. It’s a terrible feeling to give your child such a fright!
Climbing over EVERYTHING. Nothing gets in this girl’s way!
Catalina Island Take 2
Love her baby jeans.
Charlotte and Daddy
The view from our hotel balcony.
Woke up to a cruise ship in our view.
8 Months Old and moving way too much to get a good pic!
Grandma has arrived!
Fun with Grandpa!
Someone can’t get enough standing!
Before sending Grandma off to the airport
Charlotte is keeping us on our toes these days. She is a very busy little girl. That’s probably the reason I didn’t have time to update our blog last week!
At 32 and 33 weeks, Charlotte….
- Is getting up on her knees and starting to push herself up (mostly against us). She’s definitely not standing yet, but fully crawling is definitely in her near future.
- Said goodbye to her dear nanny who had to leave for college. We will miss her so much!
- Sits up like a champ now. And boy does that make our lives easier! Wow! We are working on rolling a ball back and forth with her. She loves when the ball arrives right to her and sometimes (probably by accident) returns it!
- Seems to be getting another tooth. I may have said that a couple of weeks ago. No new teeth yet. Lots of drool and fussiness and gnawing on things. Anytime this seem a little off, I automatically think she’s teething, but who knows!
- Loves striking a pose like a little model. She pushes herself up on her side, hand above her head – hilarious. Even the nursery workers at church commented on her little pose.
- Went to MOPS for the first time. Ok, Mom went to MOPS while Charlotte played in the nursery with her friends. I think we both had fun, but she sure was glad to see me at the end!
- Is super into cords, straps, HAIR… At this rate Charlotte’s first word is going to be “Owww” or “Nooo” based on the number of times I say that when she pulls me hair. I can’t help it – it hurts! A lot. She’s highly amused – both by my hair and my reaction!
- Gives the biggest smiles when you sing and dance for her!
- Finds great entertainment in throwing her toys for Mommy and Daddy to fetch for her.
- Currently is on a veggie strike. She refuses to eat veggies but gobbles fruit down like crazy.
Monday: Grilled Chicken Legs with Creole Seasoning and Sauteed Zucchini
Tuesday: White Chicken Enchilada Bake
Wednesday: Teriyaki Pork, Coconut Rice, Roasted Broccoli
Thursday: Spaghetti and Turkey Meatballs, Salad
Friday: Small Group Dinner – Shredded BBQ Chicken Sliders and Baked Corn Casserole (and other sides people are bringing)
Saturday: Homemade Pizza
Recipe Recommendation – Quinoa Chili – great for vegetarians and meat eaters alike!
The weeks are flying by with our giggly little girl!
At 31 weeks, Charlotte’s adventures include…
Turning 7 months old – and hardly laying still for a pic!
Beach day! With our new beach tent!
Extreme interest in a s’more at a Labor Day pool party. (No, she didn’t get a bite!)
Doing anything and everything with her feet. She’s constantly moving toys and books around with her little toes. Hilarious.
Beating the heat (multiple days of 100 degree weather here) with lots of time in the pool. She’s a pro at relaxing in her little “boat” (floatie raft).
The start of some separation anxiety… Screaming and more screaming when Mom and Dad walk out of the room. Let’s hope it’s a very short phase!
A borrowed exersaucer!This has provided hours of entertainment for Charlotte. See her many expressions in the exersaucer below!
Not exactly it’s intended use…
But she sure was proud of herself!
Hmm…What is this for?
Thanks Jude for letting me borrow your toy – I love it!!
Striking a pose.
So much excitement!
Yes, I know it’s Wednesday today but I started this post back on Monday! Therefore it’s still going to be called Menu Planning Monday.
Monday: Labor Day Cookout/Potluck
Tuesday: Butter Beef, Egg Noodles, Green Beans (one of Than’s VERY favorite meals – and one of the easiest things I could make – WIN WIN!)
Wednesday: Tacos and Mexican Corn Salad
Thursday: Jambalaya and Peas/Carrots
Friday: Quinoa Chili
Saturday: Grilled Chicken Sandwiches and Tator Tots
Sunday: Breakfast for Dinner – Waffles and Sausage Links
It’s a new month and we’re learning some new rhythms as Charlotte is more mobile than ever before and we’re transitioning from having some part time childcare to doing it on our own! We’re spend more time outside as the weather has (thankfully!) cooled down a bit. Charlotte loves long walks around the neighborhood and is even content just walking outside of our building to watch the cars goes by.
At 30 weeks, Charlotte…
- Loves swimming in the pool at our apartment complex. She also likes watching some of the kids who live in our complex as we get to know their parents.
- Got her first sippy cup – sometimes she likes it, sometimes she doesn’t, which is fine – we’re in no hurry to get rid of the bottle.
- Was a serious trooper when we went car shopping. In case you’re wondering, we did not get a new car. We were just looking around at something bigger but are totally undecided about what to get.
- Can’t get enough of knocking over towers of blocks. Next step – teach her how to build the towers up again herself!
- Has been a total sleepyhead. I think she must be going through a growth spurt because she is eating and sleeping like crazy.
- Is getting a little better at sitting up but she still prefers being on the move instead of just sitting there.
Giggles like crazy!
Loves her blocks!
Teaching her the importance of exercise at a young age. She was highly amused watching me do a Jillian Michael’s workout video.
Our little escapee…
Sometimes she gets stuck… We help her after laughing a little bit at her!
So many smiles and giggles when Daddy swings her through the air!
This was all her… She rolled herself right up like a little burrito!
Figuring out the sippy cup…or trying to!
A fun new toy if nothing else!
Remember when I used to plan out my menu’s and post them on the blog each week? Yeah I kind of fell off the bandwagon of posting them when Charlotte was born. I kept planning but stopped with the posting. But here I am – inspired once again!
Here’s what’s on the menu for this week:
Monday: Grilled Sirloin with sauteed mushrooms, Roasted Red Potatoes, Peas/Carrots
Tuesday: Stuffed Peppers
Wednesday: Tortellini Bake and Green Beans
Thursday: Pan Fried Pork Chops, Broccoli, Mashed Potatoes
Friday: Nancy’s Pizza (You have no idea how excited I was to find a Groupon for some Chicago style pizza – yum!)
Saturday: Greek Chicken and Tomato/Cucumber Salad
Sunday: Turkey Burgers and Sweet Potato Fries
Banana Oatmeal Muffins – On Monday’s I drive down to Long Beach for a work meeting (or meetings) so breakfast on the go is a must. These are delicious and travel well – and by travel well I mean they are easy to eat in the car! Next time I will try these with half wheat and half white flour instead of all white.
Charlotte is changing so much every day. It’s a joy to watch her explore and discover new things. Here’s a little bit of what she’s been up to.
At 28 weeks, Charlotte…
- Continues to suck on her 2 left fingers, but now likes to use her right hand to tug on her hair. It’s like she just discovered she has her own hair to pull! Now if only that meant she pulled my hair less…
- Scoots and army crawls like crazy.
- Shows NO interest whatsoever in sitting up.
- Loves to explore – particularly things that are bright and make noises like computers and cell phones. I walked away from my computer for less than a minute only to come back and find Charlotte looking intently at the screen, fingers poised over the keys and a LOT of windows up on my screen!
- Seems to have another tooth or two coming in soon.
- Wiggled her way out of her clothes last night while sleeping. I guess this means one piece sleepers ONLY for her from now on!
- Cries between bites of food because it’s just not fast enough for her. We think she’s exerting a lot of energy with all her moving around, making her extra hungry. We’re settling into a good routine of having solids twice a day now. Usually fruit mixed with cereal in the morning, and veggies for dinner.
- Loves the sound of her voice. She is constantly talking, squawking, cooing and making happy noises.